We design, develop and support all the HarnWare,
HarnConnect software for
Electronics (formerly Raychem).
HarnWare is an
electrical wiring harness design system used by over 2,000 engineers
in more than 500 companies in 42 countries around the world.
with many aspects of the design process including:
- The HarnWare Design Wizard lists a sequence of steps for
designing the required wiring harness. While the list suggests
an order of operation, steps can be repeated or taken out of
sequence. The design rules encoded into HarnWare have been
developed from years of practical wiring harness design and
- Part selection to ensure compatibility with mating parts and
service conditions. The database includes over 100,000 TE
- Calculation of wire routes and lengths.
- Parts listing. Detailed parts lists or bills of materials
(BoM) can be output to the design document pack or to files
suitable for importing into other systems. Each line item in the
parts list is automatically cross-referenced to the assembly
drawing by item number balloons.
- Assembly time estimates. Standard time synthetics are
included for most common operations but the time allowances can
be adjusted to suit individual circumstances.
- Wire gauge, temperature rise and voltage drop calculations.
- Automatically generating optimum lays for mixed
diameter cables to ensure flexible and circular constructions.
- Selecting cable markers, laying out marker text and
generating manufacturing documentation and files for import into
printer software such as
TE Connectivity WinTotal.
- "Virtual prototyping" 3D views can be automatically generated by
HarnVis from HarnWare designs. To-scale views can help identify potential problems before production
starts thus avoiding costly mistakes.
- Listing of Restriction on Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliance codes for all components used in
a harness design.
- Listing the manufacturing codes of practice (CoP) and the
materials and equipment required to assemble the wiring harness.
- Checking connector part numbers and generating planform drawings.
ADE is currently developing a
signal to connector contact assignment program for use with HarnWare.
- Drawing wiring schematics and schedules. Data can also be exported to
automatic test equipment (ATE).
- Listing the differences between two versions of a harness
design or between two similar designs.
- Translating drawings into a variety of languages.
- Drawing data can be imported and exported using a variety of
formats including Autodesk Drawing Interchange Format (DXF) and
Portable Network Graphics (PNG).
- Harness weight estimates. The HarnWare database includes
weights for more than 100,000 components.
We've proved, even to the most sceptical harness
designer, that HarnWare can help produce better designs more
In an article entitled 'Wiring Harness Design - Can a Computer
Help?' in the August 1998 edition of 'Computing & Control
Engineering Journal' Ken Wallington (who was then TE's Harness
Design Systems Manager) stated that HarnWare users had reported benefits in four key areas:
- Selection of preferred parts to ensure best delivery and
- More detailed and accurate designs and better quality
- Faster designs and quotations, in some cases up to 20 times
- Increased confidence that each part is compatible with the
intended service conditions and with the mating parts.
wiring harness design article (Adobe Acrobat PDF
file 282 Kbytes 5 pages) is reproduced with the kind permission of the
Institution of Engineering and Technology
HarnWare V6 was released in November 2011. Click
here for the HarnWare V6 brochure
(a 2.7Mbyte Adobe Acrobat pdf file opens in a new window). Paul
Newman of Tyco Electronics launched the new version with a one week
seminar for lead HarnWare users from the six countries with the most
for a photograph of the seminar attendees hard at work (a
1.1Mbyte JPEG file opens in a new window).
For further details please refer to TE's
www.harnware.com web site.
Click the above thumbnail images to
view two sample 3D wiring harness models from HarnVis using
the OpenHSF viewer, which is a free download. The viewer install file
is 1.6Mbytes but the two sample OpenHSF files containing the 3D
models are less than 50 Kbytes each. Therefore, while it may take
a short time to view the first OpenHSF file, other files can then be
downloaded and viewed in less time than many simple web pages.
Wiring harnesses and design drawing generated by HarnWare.
A small wiring schematic generated by HarnWare.
Some benefits to be derived from HarnWare.
Three cross-sections of cables designed by HarnWare.
A typical type of application for wiring harnesses designed using HarnWare.
An advert from 2006 for HarnWare.